Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Wicked Time in London

Word of the day: Primark
This cheap store might not be the best quality, but think Old Navy on Wal-mart prices. I'm not sure what I did without it before. The skirt, tights and boots I'm wearing right now? I paid a total of 13 pounds for them.

Place of the day: This entire blog is going to be dedicated to three fun places I've visited in the last couple of weeks.

1. My first musical in London!
A few of my housemates and friend Hild hit up the Apollo Victoria, which is one of many West End theaters in London. We got nosebleed tickets to the hit Wicked that turned into great seats after we moved on up post-admission. My roommate Kendra and I are listening to the soundtrack non-stop. Here we are in front of the theater:


I am a little bummed that Gone With the Wind the musical is coming out a few weeks after I leave, but I would hope it's coming to America soon as it is our story!

2. The Travel Bookshop in Notting Hill
Yep, the bookshop where Hugh Grant wooed Julia Roberts. However, I must point out that the filming actually happened across the street (and the blue door is now painted over). But this is the bookshop it was based on. I bought a hilarious book from a series called Xenophobe's guide to the English. A funny and seemingly accurate excerpt about English sentiment toward Americans:

The English like Americans and in many ways would probably like them even more if only they didn't insist on being quite so... well... American. The English regard Americans as English people who turned into something else as the result of an unfortunate misunderstanding, and who would be a lot happier if they just had the sense to turn back again. Then they would start talking Proper English.

English viewer watch participants on American television 'confess-it-all' shows with fascinated disbelief and blame falling standards in their own cultural life on American influence. In the final analysis, however, they don't complain too much to the Americans about this as they are keen to maintain good relations with them for the sake of commercial and political advantage.

Naturally, this does not stop English people from feeling quite free to compare their two countries -- to America's disadvantage. A smug feeling prevails that having a history that goes back a bit further than the day before yesterday is a sign of a superior culture.


3. Windsor Castle
We made a day trip out to Windsor, where one of the Queen's residences towers over a colorful and lovely British town. Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world. Sadly I couldn't photograph the extravagant state rooms I viewed, but here is a snapshot of Hild and I outside. The second picture is the Changing of the Guard that we arrived just in time for. This event of soldiers switching shifts seemed a little hilariously pointless, but I enjoyed the band's cover of the James Bond theme song.




I am now listening to: My friend Jeff wrote a song called "Oh, Ellie!" I'm sure I could never explain to you what it is about, but how fun is that? I'm being a narcissist again.

No comments: