Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Monday, March 3, 2008

Editor's Note

Maybe you might think this is crazy of me, but I just went through my old posts and took out any random Internet photos I threw in them. This is for two reasons, the first being that I want all of the pictures in this blog to be based on my own authentic pictures in true journalistic fashion. The pointless Google images I included (mostly at the beginning when I didn't have a way to get the pictures off my camera) were just needlessly distracting from this authenticity. Secondly, it's not really even legal to just steal photos unless they say they are in the public domain (many on Wikipedia do actually). So because I am a dorky follower of copyright laws (and used to self righteously preach about them when I was a newspaper editor), I deleted any image that wasn't public or my own. Yes, even harmless ones, such as the tea kettle.

Thus when you go through the posts again (as if you will) and see all my "edit: I deleted a photo" notes, don't think it was anything exciting for being controversial. Nope, just me deciding that my Google image searches should be wiped from the blog, and I should be working harder to find my own! I'm wondering what other bloggers out there think about this. It seems in some of the blogs I read there are photos carelessly pasted. Perhaps I understand not being a ridiculous stickler to the rules, but sometimes I think we've gone too far in our willingness to use whatever photo we find.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Internet has made copyright laws extremely complicated. Fair use laws don't help clear things up either. Good job though!

-Matt