Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stereotypical American

I finally had the guts to ask someone what the stereotypical American is. It was my Canadian roommate Kendra, and I thank her for being willing to tell me the truth of what that stereotype is, and I promise she is a nice person. Her response was hard to hear but not surprising to me:

self-centered
arrogant
stupid
fat
war-loving mongrels

Being the only American in the room is not something you want to be in any other country but America.

The truth is, I don't know how to be American. I want to do well at it. I want people to stop and say, "Well, there was that American once who I really liked." I throw a lot of Midwestern charm into it, I try my best. But at the end of the day, I think I, too, will always be so "American." And what is so bad about that?

Over here, it is OK to say "I hate Americans." No one will stone you. Not even the Americans. People don't feel bad stereotyping them; it's not taboo the way it is to stereotype other cultures. (Does that seem wrong? But then again, I am used to America's p.c. culture, which isn't the case over here.) Sure, I hope they don't really hate Americans, but nonetheless, it doesn't shock me to hear. A lot of times when I am making friends with someone who isn't American, such as my new roommate, I feel the need to make a joke about how I also don't like America.

But the joke is getting old.

Sure, I do criticize the country openly and honestly a lot, but I love criticizing it so much because I love it so much. The mishandling of the war in the Iraq really eats away at me. The fact that health care is so messed up and that my homeland eats the worlds energy eats at me too. The fact that people are starving and one of last election's biggest issues was about defining marriage gets to me as well.

But it irritates a lot of people. A lot of Americans. We care about this stuff; we are good people. And at the end of the day, I am so proud to be from a country where I have been able to voice my disgust with it without getting put through a paper shredder. And a part of me is sick of the American hatred and generalizations and can't help but sense that people see us like the head cheerleader who they hate and envy all at once.

My friend Joe points out it's not fair for many countries to criticize us given some of their own track records. After all, Europeans have been fighting all kinds of ridiculous wars for thousands of years. I won't let my country be deduced to a scapegoat for all the world's problems. Someone told me today that Sept. 11 was a conspiracy caused by Bush. That's unfair. We might talk loud and eat too much McDonald's, but we don't crash planes into our own buildings. And I can't help but get angry at the American haters who have never met one. Kind of like the Muslim haters in America. So now I hate all those haters... I HATE this.

And yeah, Americans irritate me too. Like packs of Texas girls on the train from the airport flaunting there cultural ignorance. Ignorance: I am ashamed of the ignorance the most. I bristle because I know what everyone is thinking and also because I am annoyed that they are talking loudly on public transportation and that Daddy gave them the money to travel so young. I want to cover them up and hide them before anyone else sees them. They can irritate me, America can irritate me, but having them irritate the people outside the land of the free? I can't have that.

Maybe being an American in another country is a good learning experience. Surely it's nothing like how my Irish ancestors must've felt. Or what black Americans went through. Or how Muslim Americans felt after Sept. 11. And what was that? Probably similar to how I feel:

Sad. Introspective. Defensive. Guilty. Alone. Confused. Angry. Self-loathing. Hateful. Useless. Annoyed. Uncomfortable. Self-pitying. Offended. Determined.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! I think it's important to reflect upon the state of our nation and all the things it's doing wrong but at the same time, recognizing the things it has and is doing right. While, quite frankly, many of the American stereotypes are extremely accurate, they don't represent the nation as a whole (on either side of the political spectrum). Countries around the world seem to judge America solely on its current political platform, but often fail to account for the extremely tight disparity between the two parties. All one has to consider is how close the last two Presidential elections were. I don't think it's any secret that Europeans, Canadians, etc. share a progressive ideal. Just because America doesn't currently represent that ideal through Washington doesn't mean it doesn't exist in America period. In fact, Democrats recently took over Congress, as voted by Americans. The wonderful thing about America is that politics do represent the vocal majority and that vocal majority changes, often. Even the idea of it. Republicans stand for a different image now than they did many years ago. The same with Democrats.

It upsets me that people would likely see America differently if Al Gore or any other Democrat were President right now. But that reminds me the American image is extremely fickle and fleeting and that we have the opportunity to change the way people see us. The last ten years represent a very small majority of our history. Much, much good has come from America. Even though we're currently mishandling a war, eating tons of fast food and ignoring the energy crisis, the good we've done in the past, both as a nation represented by the Republican Party and the Democrat Party, is something we should never forget. It's all about history and perspective. Our contemporary track record might not be fantastic, but, as you pointed out about Europe, nobody has a perfect track record. People, nations and views change and that gives me hope.

Finally, if I were in your situation Ellie, I'd have the same response. It's OK to laugh at America and criticize it. WE do that just well. But like you, that's something I'd want people to realize--that it's never so simple here; that people are fighting back and forth over these issues and that nothing is ever settled. It really IS about ignorance, which is a universal concept. And when I say that, I mean specifically a lack of information and knowledge, not necessarily brains. For example, whoever suggested our government was responsible for 9-11 was ignorant of the facts. First-it's a ridiculous concept. Second-there have been many accounts, reports and investigations to discredit such a theory (which even Americans, yes, Americans, have been throwing around). I'm glad that someone like you is able to represent America, but at the same time, you shouldn't try to hide those Texas girls. They're real, they reside here and they represent the split that will always exist in America.

Ain't it great?

Monty said...

Fat? Jebus. Then again, all the world knows McDonald's...

It's easy and convenient to blame the world's problems on the rich guy down the street. I mean, Europe's history can be told by the people getting mad at those in power, right?

Not to give America a pass on this, but why don't they actually get proactive once? It's easier to cast aspersions than to act, I guess. Band together and tell the government that you're not gonna take this crap anymore. If all of Europe was actively against the war, would we be having it? Unlikely.

That having been said, I want to move to Australia.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comments! So glad I'm not the only one who feels the dichotomy of all of this.

And lol at the Australia comment.

Random Thought said...

I agree with Matt. It seems to me that many people in the world have not really tasted American culture. And since we are such a variety of people from several different countries, there will always be the irritating ones, and the pleasant ones. But, truly, the U.S. is a wonderful place to be, and we shouldn't let critical non-Americans change our outlook on life. If they want to know what it's like, they should physically come here.

Random Thought said...

I agree with Matt. It seems to me that many people in the world have not really tasted American culture. And since we are such a variety of people from several different countries, there will always be the irritating ones, and the pleasant ones. But, truly, the U.S. is a wonderful place to be, and we shouldn't let critical non-Americans change our outlook on life. If they want to know what it's like, they should physically come here.

Unknown said...

Charlotte,
Thanks for your insightful comment!
Now that I've been back in the U.S. for a while, I have seen Americans in new ways. I think we are more nuanced than foreigners think, but I also think they have somewhat of a point. I actually recently blogged about some of the not-so-great things I noticed since I've been back in the U.S. Check it out here: http://www.y-rd.com/2009/03/year-back-in-ol-usa.html

I definitely DO love being American though:) Even while I criticize some things about our culture, I adore being a part of it.
Ellie

Anonymous said...

Well... that's very interessting but honestly i have a hard time determining it... I'm wondering what others have to say....