Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Sunday, October 7, 2007

All the World's a Stage

Word of the day: rubbish
People use this word for “garbage” a lot more than in America.

What I learned today: One can have a cultured weekend on $10 and a few tube tickets. I’ve proven this two weekends in a row. And it feels much more fulfilling then spending a lot of money.

The next time I go to London I will...catch another performance of Shakespeare; I don’t care if I can’t understand what's going on.

Theater On the Other Side of the Globe
Well, today I fulfilled an earlier wish I had by attending a performance at The Globe Theatre (ew, I hate the English spelling of theater), a rebuilt version of the original home of Shakespeare’s plays (pictured below).

Courtesy of Wikipedia

It’s definitely a magical place, and we got cheap tickets on the last night of the season, standing right where peasants used to cram altogether and pee themselves in Shakespeare’s day. I absolutely enjoyed seeing professionals perform the nonsensical comedy Love’s Labour Lost (ew English spelling again). The point of the play is certainly lost on anyone, but the costumes and performance were delightful.

I attended with my new friend Jessica, who creepily is reading Jane Austen’s Emma as well. Wow, we have completely left contemporary interpretations of Shakespeare and Jane Austen (e.g. 10 Things I Hate About You, Clueless) and entered in the romantic realm of great literature of the past.

I’m loving London. Love.

I am now watching: The First Wives Clubs. Apparently they play this movie every week in England. Next up: Hitch, which I’ve also already seen in my few weeks here. One of those female-workaholic-journalist/wedding planner/doctor-is-rescued-by-falling-in-with-source/client/patient stories. Boo! Not all successful females fall for someone in the line of duty. Stupid Hollywood.

No comments: