Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Friday, October 12, 2007

Sorry, It’s Just a Rerun

OK so I decided to remove Tuesday’s post (a facetious account of my day at work) because it wasn’t the best platform to present my job. I suppose it's difficult to tell you about doing journalism in another country (the original idea of this blog) without divulging too much about work. But I'll figure out a way.

As you may know, I like to tell everyone everything, but it looks like I will have to learn that not only do my parents read this, but maybe a PR person will when they find Google my name before I interview a company bigwig and find this blog. I wouldn’t want them to read about me poking fun of my own magazine or something. (They don’t know that I just like to make fun of myself and everything in my realm, including jobs.)

Although, just to make sure you know: I am not so self-important as to think that my blog really is going to cause some big journalistic scandal. But I suppose when it comes to my inside-the-workplace accounts, I have to be professional about it. I tried to balance this when I did a inside-the-newsroom blog for The Post this past year. This effort sprung from my looooove of journalistic transparency (such a buzz word). However you can’t really elaborate on co-worker idiosyncrasies or every dirty joke uttered in the office. (You should save those for your novel after you quit journalism.)

So I guess blogs are kind of a tease in the sense that they feel so personal when you read them -- like you are really there. But people (particularly journalists) who write them are really not telling you everything.

OK enough blogging about blogging. Here are the remnants of Tuesday’s post:

Summary: A day in the life of a clueless reporter covering the securities industry

Word of the day: derivative
Certainly not an English word, but another language. Derivatives are financial instruments whose value is derived from the value of something else (thanks Wikipedia!), and they are taking over my life.

What I learned today: Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.

Next time I go to London I will…totally come back with friends. (That will make more sense when you see what I'm watching.)

[and basically what my original post inferred was:]

1. I found out my big feature on the valuation of OTC derivatives is due next week, so I am scrambling to interview a trillion important people!

2. Being a young person and therefore only person who can work a video camera is great because I probably get to go to Paris to film for our upcoming DVD.

3. My boss informed me that if I can do this article on OTC derivatives, I can do anything. In fact, he said he’d recommend me to The New York Times. Wouldn’t that be nice?

I am now watching : The Friends where they are in London for Ross' wedding and Joey is homesick for America. And Rachel comes to London to stop it…aww they are showing Big Ben and Tower Bridge right now!!! I live there!


No comments: