Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My New Fame in the Securities Services

Word of the day: cheers
Can’t believe I didn’t use this yet, as it is the most London of all London phrases. Sure, we say cheers before a drink or sometimes at the end of e-mails, but here it replaces everything. For instance, today as I left the grocery store the grocer said “cheers.” Or when I was chatting with someone on a boat ride, as I left he said “cheers.” Or when someone agrees with you, they will probably say, “yeah, cheers.”

It basically means nothing and everything, as my colleague Christopher points out. I absolutely adore it.

What I learned today: Working from home can be fantastic. Writing news while your laundry is going is much better than writing news while your co-worker makes an ad sales pitch in a loud, monotone voice. I’d get depressed if I worked at home every day though. And I’d probably never get out of my PJs.

What I love about London: Sitting at my kitchen table and looking out over the Thames and the skyline of Canary Wharf.

My Name on the Big Screen
Well not the big screen, but maybe on the screens of big people. Basically, as I mentioned, I am playing a large role helping the aforementioned Christopher, Global Custodian’s multimedia editor, with our first-ever DVD on the securities industry. And I get to be in the credits (posted below).

Just to brag about GC for a second, it is actually really at the forefront of multimedia in Europe, thanks to Christopher. It was definitely the first trade pub in our field to do multimedia. We do podcasts every week as well as vodcasts every once in a while. My first vodcast will be posted later this month.

But anyway, I’m kind of nervous to be filming for the first time, as well as interviewing some of the most powerful financial people in the world in my $40 suit. But you know, whatever.

I did feel really excited when Christopher showed me the credits. It was funny how much we picked them apart. You don’t even think about how long it can take to design credits until you do it. But anyway, I enjoyed Christopher’s finished product and the hilarious upbeat piano music. We discussed setting the DVD to reggae or techno, you know, livening up the securities services, but maybe next time.

And that’s why I get to work from home so much, because I’m running around doing interviews and don’t have time to pop into the office. So on one hand it’s a lot busier and requires me to wash my hair and iron clothes more (boo). But it’s also really nice to get the heck out of that fourth-floor office with a broken lift every once in a while.

We’ll see how I feel about having three interviews on Friday ... and what next week will be like when I realize all the work I have to catch up on in back at the GC homestead.

Cheers!

I am now watching: The millionth and probably final version of our DVD credits that Christopher is uploading on YouTube. Oh what an exciting life I lead!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, in case I forgot to mention this before, I LOVE the background on your site here. It makes me cheerful.

Second, it is SO funny to hear you say "the lift is broken" or whatever it was. SO funny.

Third, yay for learning multimedia! I'm very overwhelmed by it, but it's a very good thing to have at least basic knowledge about. Ellie, I'm having a crazy month and could probably write you a novel here, but I'll just leave it at miss you and hope you're doing fabulous in London!

Steph

Unknown said...

So glad you caught my little English slip! Oh dear I am going to go back to America and say "Bullocks, the lift is broken in this dodgy flat."

I agree that multimedia is still overwhelming. It definitely scared the crap out of me for a while, and still does many days.

I hope your month slows down!!! I miss you and wish I could bring you and my Chautauqua friends to London with me. Oh how lovely was it when sources were down the street?

Much love,
Ellie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.