Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Friday, November 23, 2007

Sorted Out

Summary: I rode first class on the new high-speed train from St. Pancras International station to Paris yesterday.

Word of the day
: sort
The English are always “sorting things out” the way we are always “figuring things out.”

What I learned today: So I was really upset about losing my glasses, but it turns out my contacts finally stopped bothering me ever since I started wearing them all the time. They are actually extended wear contacts and this whole time I hadn’t been wearing them long enough for my eyes to get used to them. Wow what a boring story, I’m sorry.

What I love about London: I got on the wrong bus today (a usual occurrence) and discovered that the Surrey Quays tube station and part of town was literally only one bus stop past the Canada Water station I usually go to. So this whole area of dodgy shops and fun East End culture is right around the corner practically. And here I thought I was in the middle of nowhere. When you take the bus you discover how close together areas of town actually are. Usually Londoners are like groundhogs popping up from tunnels all over London.

First Class to Paris
Yesterday I spent most of my day on the train to and from Paris in order to FINALLY interview once and for all the big, important elusive executive. I concentrated the whole train ride on making sure I absorbed every free piece of bread, glass of wine and cup of coffee they gave me, because I don’t get to be first class very often. And on the way back I almost exchanged my ticket for later that evening so I could enjoy the business lounge for longer. It was like another world, as I walked in and saw a wall lined with newspapers and a bar full of wine and liquor for free. I sipped (guzzled) a glass of wine and read The Financial Times. I looked so legit. And then I realized ... Who am I? Don’t I also go to indie rock shows and wear bright purple sweaters with big bracelets? I feel like I am two different people sometimes.

That’s all I got for today.

I am now watching: The second to last episode of Grey’s Anatomy until the screenwriter’s decide to recommence writing my trashy shows. I'll finally get back to American TV and there won't be anything to watch! It must be hard to stay creative with Grey's anyway. They are having to introduce new characters in order to come up with new sexual combinations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I looked so legit. And then I realized ... Who am I? Don’t I also go to indie rock shows and wear bright purple sweaters with big bracelets? I feel like I am two different people sometimes."

Me too!

Brittany Kress said...

Hahaha I was actually going to comment on that excerpt also. I loved it!
You're such a world traveler, Ellie! Can't wait til you travel back here!