Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Special: Ellie’s Picks for Songs on the Tube

Word of the day: vouchers
Gift certificates are referred to as “vouchers,” as I learned today from my co-workers. Just like every day, my colleagues said something and I said, “What?” Followed by, “You don’t have that in America??” Followed by, “Oh, are they like gift certificates/elevators/pimples?” Culture gap closed.

What I learned today: How to edit video in Final Cut Pro! (Mom, that is a program on the computer with which you edit video.) I actually put the text in and made transitions and it really looks quite professional, I must say. I’ll show you when it’s done … Even if you don’t want to know about OTC derivative valuation.

What I love about London. Falafels from Café Rosse on Borough High Street, which was my lunch and dinner today.

Top 10 Tube Songs!
It’s cold.
And it’s Monday.
And I am watching Dawson’s Creek again because nothing else is on. And the American screenwriters ruined the only thing I have to look forward to every week: watching pixelated shows on Sidereel.

But the good news is, I was inspired today on the tube to compile a list of my top 10 songs to listen to on the underground. This list was whittled down from the 34 nominees I scribbled in my notebook after skipping through all 380 songs on my iPod. Yeah, so I wouldn’t call it the end-all list, as my iPod is disproportionately populated with Bob Dylan and Fiona Apple (I haven't had a chance to add all my music to it). But from this scanty selection are several songs that turn an icky tube ride into the opening credits of my own TV show -- you know, like those Mary Tyler Moore moments you have as you cross a busy street.

And the winners are:

“Black Like Me” by Spoon -- This inspired the whole list.

“Across the Universe” by Fiona Apple (remake of The Beatles, who would probably be even better for England if I had them on my iPod) -- This song feels like it was written on a subway.

“Carrion” by British Sea Power -- It helps that they mention “Rotherhithe,” which is the street I live off of.

“Conventional Wisdom” by Built to Spill -- Another upbeat, indie rock type of song -- those are good tube-song ingredients, provided they aren’t too shallow.

“Epic Song” by Futuristic Retro Champions -- So I take that "shallow" comment back because this song means nothing, but the combination of horns and synthesizers is fabulous! Maybe it makes me a little dizzy, but it reminds me of a great night in London, and so it works on the tube.

“Everybody’s Got Their Own Part to Play" by Shannon Wright -- Songs about the whole fact of a bunch of people also being individuals are good for those lonely but crowded tube rides.

“God Only Knows” by the Beach Boys – For a happy day. I think it reminds me of London because of the movie Love Actually.

“Better Version of Me” by Fiona Apple -- I know, another Fiona, but what do you expect? This is kind of my theme song.

“Queen Jane Approximately” by Bob Dylan -- OK so I had a rough time choosing among BD’s songs, which form the backbone for my tube soundtrack. But this is a good one -- not too explicitly about being a traveling spirit (like a rolling stone), but still enigmatically pleasing tube music.

“I Like It” by Dixie Chicks -- These girls are good for the highway, but they also work underground. (I would definitely not recommend “Wide Open Spaces” on the tube.)

FYI if I could squeeze in another song, it would surely be by Wilco, which always suit me just fine on any tube journey. But I guess the band's new album is more for car commercials under the blue sky -- not so much the underground.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

- Cafe Rosse falafel = orgasmic!!

- Fiona's "Across the Universe" = amazing!!

The end.