Taking the quarter-life crisis global!

Sunday, December 2, 2007

My Dickensian Weekend

Summary: I am refreshed by the air outside Central London.

Word of the day: Europe
Europe is the rest of the continent aside from Britain, according the the British. At first it’s weird when you hear a Brit refer to “Europe” as if they are not in Europe. But that’s just how the Brits are: Being in England is clearly a superior state than being in Europe.

What I learned today: On the topic of nationalism, my flatmate and I were just discussing which country is more full of itself: Britain or the United States? We ended up deciding both were pretty darn conceited. However, American people tend to me a little more modest than the British. But American diplomacy does not reflect this. Would love to know anyone's opinions on this.

What I love about London: It is ginormous. I have probably only gone to half of its neighborhoods. (Actually that can be frustrating, but in a way it can count as kind of endearing.)

Castles, Canada and Christmas

This weekend I …

… saw one of the most beautiful castles in Europe, Leeds Castle in Kent:

… went to the Dickensian Christmas Festival in Rochester, where people were dressed up in Victorian costume and everything! Here is Charles Dickens Swiss chalet in the town:

… drank at a merry, Canadian-themed pub near Covent Garden called The Maple Leaf with new friends from America, Canada and Norway. And of course, the Santa bear, who received a proper bear hug after a few pints:

… visited my friend Erin and her husband in the Harry-Potter-like campus of Harrow, one of those swanky all-boys boarding schools with famous graduates like William Churchill.

(Woops, forgot to get a picture.)

But despite my lack of sleep and lack of progress on life decisions, it’s been OK.

I am now watching: Sex and the City, which makes me miss my girls at home soooooo much. My flatmate actually has a few of the seasons on videocassettes! Remember those?

No comments: